The name George F. Huggins & Company is taken from its founder, Sir George Frederick Huggins, who was born on the island of St. Vincent. In 1920, George F. Huggins & Company Limited (Trinidad) took over the operations of Martin Dean & Co. in Grenada and commenced trading on the island in staple agricultural products namely cocoa, nutmeg and mace purchased from the local estates. The company also represented various steamship lines which called at Grenada’s port at that time.
On August 31, 1945, the Grenadian company was registered as a separate entity under the name George F. Huggins & Company (Grenada) Limited and became known popularly as “Huggins”. In 1973, Huggins became a member of the T. Geddes Grant Group of Companies, which operates in many of the region’s territories.
In 1992, the Geddes Grant Group merged with the Caribbean conglomerate Neal & Massy Holdings (now Massy), thereby effectively becoming part of the largest and most diversified trading group in the region with representation in countries ranging from Guyana to North America.
The year 1998 ushered in a watershed moment for the company when the then Chief Executive Officer, Mr. G. A. Menezes skillfully led a team which negotiated a management buyout from Neal & Massy Holdings. Today, Huggins is proudly 100% locally owned, with 80% of it’s shareholders being current or retired employees of the company.
Geo. F. Huggins & Company Limited Trinidad, took over operations of Martin Dean & Company in Grenada and begins trading as Geo. F. Huggins & Company Limited.
Became the distributor for Goodyear Tyres and only the second distributor to be appointed outside of the Continental U.S.
Became agents for Trinidad Leaseholds Ltd. as the distributor for their petroleum products.
Entered the insurance industry.
Gained sole distribution rights to sell Texaco petroleum products, including lubricants, motor oil, and domestic gas otherwise known as Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG).
Mr. G. A. “Richard” Menezes, joined the Company on 1st December.
Dealership documents were signed between Huggins and the Nissan Motor Company.
The first Datsun, manufactured by Nissan Motor Company arrived in Grenada.
T. Geddes Grant Group of Companies purchased the firm Geo. F. Huggins & Co. Grenada Ltd.
On January 01, Mr. G. A. Menezes assumed the office of Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Buy Rite! Discount Ltd. on the corner of Halifax and Hillsborough Streets was opened to the public on 19th November.
Duty Free shop on the Carenage was opened. Huggins Travel Service began operating in Rowley’s building on the Carenage.
Foodland on Lagoon Road was opened.
Office Services Ltd., agents for Xerox photocopiers, merged with Huggins. Huggins Automotive relocated to Maurice Bishop Highway from the Carenage and Market Hill.
Became the agent for MoneyGram, Money Transfer Company.
A management/employee buy-out was negotiated and the Company became 100% Grenadian-owned.
Swift Air Cargo Handlers, a division of Huggins Shipping began operating as the authorized agents for Amerijet.
Goodyear Tyre Centre on Melville Street began operations.
Swift Air Cargo Handlers was appointed as the cargo handling agent for Virgin Atlantic Cargo.
Mr. G. A. Menezes retired as Chief Executive Officer on 31st December.
Mrs. Anya Chow Chung assumed the office of the Chief Executive Officer on 1st January.
Became the agent for CaribTrans.
Stay up to date with our news